Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How I worked the Lighting

I went to check out the Venue the day before this wedding for Jeff and Kim Powell. In the evenings this is normally a comedy club, but for this afternoon it was to be a wedding venue. It was VERY dark inside with Black ceilings and dark walls, which would prove to be difficult in bouncing any lighting. The ambient was both RED and BLUE lights which had the potential to be a disaster for skin tones if I wasn't careful. Here's what I did: First I called a colleague (Aaron Bornfleth) who is an absolute wizard with lighting to get some ideas on how to handle this situation.
  His suggestions worked like a charm as you can see in the pics above. Newer DSLR cameras today can perform magnificently with higher I.S.O. "film" speeds along with small bursts of light from your flash unit when set manually to about 1/64th power and shooting in RAW format. (If any of you tech gurus want the specs, I would be glad to share them)  It was certainly a milestone for me and I was very pleased with how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment